Sunday, June 21, 2009

RSS feeds

A few years ago I did a course at the State Library along the lines of Emerging Technology and we covered RSS feeds and setting up an account. I must admit that even then I found it interesting but found I didn't really use it.

I am always willing to give things a go and have set up another Bloglines account. It was easy to do and I found it handy that they already have a number of feeds to chose from. I'm lazy, so not having to do much searching appealed to me.

Of the ones I chose I stuck to my interests, and used both the ready-made feed selections plus what was suggested. They are as follows:
Simple recipes (always looking for simple, easy recipes)
The Shifted Librarian
Quotes of the Day (quotes fascinate me)
Movie Guru from The Courier Mail
LKH Blog (blog of favourite author)
and of course the OPAL Training as per the lesson

It was fun to look at these feeds but whether it is something I will keep up with I don't know.

As for the uses in libraries, I can see how it would help libraries to gain contact with their more technology minded clients and be able to keep clients up-to-date with new items in the collection, new activities in the library and general things affecting the library or its service.

No comments:

Post a Comment